Friday, March 27, 2009

A Letter to St. Stephen's concerning the flood

Friday March 27, 2009
The Feast of Blessed Charles Henry Brent

Dear Sisters and Brothers of St Stephen’s,

The situation in Fargo-Moorhead seems to grow more critical by the moment due to the rising waters and inclement weather. Many of us are no doubt facing what must appear to be overwhelming moments of physical, mental and spiritual frustration, anger, fear and exhaustion.

At this very difficult time, be assured that each of you are included in my prayers by name. Also be assured that if any of you need anything, I will do as much as I’m capable of doing to help you. Please feel free to contact me by cell: 701-793-1953. If, for some reason, I am unable to answer your call, please leave a message and I will respond as soon as I can.

I have been told that both St. Stephen’s and the Rectory are on some of the highest ground in north Fargo. As long as I am able, I will stay put and remain here. Also, please be assured that, unless I am forced to evacuate, the doors of St. Stephen’s will be open on Sunday morning and the Eucharist will be celebrated as usual at 11:00. Also please know that I understand many of you of you will not be able to attend church because of flooding, relocation or other issues. Please do not endanger yourself or your families in attempting to come to church if you cannot. Please do know, however, that you will all be remembered at the altar on Sunday morning with special intentions.

I will also be updating the St. Stephen’s blog (http://ststephensfargo.blogspot.com) on a regular basis. Please check the blog to for news announcements, prayer requests, cancellations or other items of information. I will also post information of news of fellow parishioners as I hear of them.

Again, be assured of my prayers, my concern and my love for each of you during this difficult time.

-peace,
Jamie+

The Reverend Jamie A. Parsley
Priest-in-charge
St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church
Fargo, North Dakota


A prayer (slightly adapted) from The New Zealand Prayer Book

God of the present moment, God who in Jesus stills the storm and soothes the frantic heart; bring hope and courage to all of us who are affected by this flood as we wait in uncertainty. Bring us hope that you will make us the equal of whatever lies ahead. Bring us courage to endure what cannot be avoided, for your will is health and wholeness; you are God and we need you. Amen.

No comments: