Sunday, April 12, 2020

Thank you!!


I am wiped out! 8 liturgies in a week! They were different liturgies, certainly more different than I have ever done before. But they were also fulfilling and emotional and incredibly meaningful. Let’s face it: not even Covid-19 can slow St. Stephen’s down! Still, this was the strangest, weirdest, oftentimes most depressing Holy Week I’ve ever encountered. At the end of Holy Week, I realize what I miss most is pews full of people I love, people without whom my life seems incomplete. Preaching to an empty church and hearing my voice echo back from an empty nave is a bizarre and formidable experience.

Thank God for Livestreaming and the interaction we are able to do there. By doing these livestreamed liturgies, my purpose was to try to maintain some sense of liturgical normalcy at this time. There were times when I wasn’t certain we could do it. But somehow it all came off. And I am grateful that we are able to provide deep and meaningful liturgical ministry to our congregation in this time of need.

I must thank everyone who was able to step up to the plate and make our Livestreamed Masses for Holy Week a reality. Thank you to John Peter Anderson, who sadly was not able to be ordained to the diaconate on April 4th, but who still despite his disappointment, stepped up to the plate and served ably in a diaconal way throughout this week; for James Mackay who labored tirelessly to not only provide truly wonderful and meaningful music for this Holy Week,also put together the online bulletins so everyone could follow along; for our wardens Jean Como Sando and Jessica Pitzel Anderson who served in various capacities as lectors, camera people and altar guild; for Michelle Marie Gelinske our cantor who brightened so many people’s worship experience; for Katie Ilze and Kristofer Sando who ably served as acolytes; for Paul Sando who monitored the water in the elevator shaft and fixed our downspouts. And thank you to Ron Fischer for donating such beautiful Easter flowers.

Thank you especially for everyone who tuned in, commented and gave us wonderful feedback. It comforts me to no end to know that these services are being well-received and helpful in this terrible time.

It was a strange Holy Week. But, in the end, I can say it was also, in its way, a meaningful and holy one!


St. Stephen’s is, as always, resilient, tough and supportive. We are one unique and wonderful congregation.

Thank you again, everyone!

Alleuia! The Lord is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!
                                 
-peace,
Fr. Jamie+

No comments: