Sunday, March 29, 2009

From Lynn LeQuire

A message from Lynn LeQuire. Please keep them and Doug’s father, Tom, in your prayers.

Lynn writes:

Jamie, I came across this video and wanted to share if with you. I didn't know if it was something to put on the blog. We are high and dry here in Moorhead.

We do have some worries though, Doug's dad, Tom, had a stroke Wednesday morning. They have transferred him to Fergus Fall to start rehab.

Lynn LeQuire

Saturday, March 28, 2009

From Steve & Craig

Craig and I were evacuated Thursday morning. Our neighborhood is one of the handful with contingency dikes behind us (in our case to protect the water treatment plant). We are checking on the house now (hence internet access) and all is fine so far. I hope others are faring well.

Steve and Craig

Harriet Blow update

Harriet called me this morning and said she is at Mercy Hospital in Valley City. She had a hectic ride out there on Friday, but is safe and sound and was resting when I talked with her.

She sends her love to all of us at this time.

Friday, March 27, 2009

From Our organist


I hope you are all high and dry, and that those you love are also safe from harm's way.

Earlier today William and I moved valuables from his apartment in Moorhead to my apartment in Fargo.

We had no more than moved in his LCD TV but I was informed I need to evacuate from the Fargo High Rise.

We are going back to William's place in Moorhead. It is about a block and a bit from the river's edge, but they have been putting up a temporary dike and it seems that his apartment will be good up to 43 feet.

If we need to evacuate from Moorhead we will go to my mother's in Grand Forks.

I have the bulletins with me and will drop those off at St Stephen's tomorrow. I'll be in church on Sunday unless, of course, church is cancelled, then I will stand at river's edge and toss virgins into the river to hold the flood waters back. (It has worked in various myths and legends.)

I'll keep you posted.


Harriet Blow evacuated

Harriet Blow, along with all the residents of New Horizons Manor in Fargo, have been evacuated. She called me this noon and did not where she was being evacuated.

Update on Florence Anderson

Sharon Remmen, the daughter of Florence Anderson, called me this morning to tell me that Rosewood on Broadway has been evacuated and that Florence Anderson (a new member at St. Stephen’s) was flown to the University of Mary in Fargo for triage before being temporarily relocated somewhere in either North Dakota or Minnesota.

Please keep Florence and her family and all the residents of Rosewood and other retirement and nursing homes in your prayers.

A Letter to St. Stephen's concerning the flood

Friday March 27, 2009
The Feast of Blessed Charles Henry Brent

Dear Sisters and Brothers of St Stephen’s,

The situation in Fargo-Moorhead seems to grow more critical by the moment due to the rising waters and inclement weather. Many of us are no doubt facing what must appear to be overwhelming moments of physical, mental and spiritual frustration, anger, fear and exhaustion.

At this very difficult time, be assured that each of you are included in my prayers by name. Also be assured that if any of you need anything, I will do as much as I’m capable of doing to help you. Please feel free to contact me by cell: 701-793-1953. If, for some reason, I am unable to answer your call, please leave a message and I will respond as soon as I can.

I have been told that both St. Stephen’s and the Rectory are on some of the highest ground in north Fargo. As long as I am able, I will stay put and remain here. Also, please be assured that, unless I am forced to evacuate, the doors of St. Stephen’s will be open on Sunday morning and the Eucharist will be celebrated as usual at 11:00. Also please know that I understand many of you of you will not be able to attend church because of flooding, relocation or other issues. Please do not endanger yourself or your families in attempting to come to church if you cannot. Please do know, however, that you will all be remembered at the altar on Sunday morning with special intentions.

I will also be updating the St. Stephen’s blog ( on a regular basis. Please check the blog to for news announcements, prayer requests, cancellations or other items of information. I will also post information of news of fellow parishioners as I hear of them.

Again, be assured of my prayers, my concern and my love for each of you during this difficult time.


The Reverend Jamie A. Parsley
St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church
Fargo, North Dakota

A prayer (slightly adapted) from The New Zealand Prayer Book

God of the present moment, God who in Jesus stills the storm and soothes the frantic heart; bring hope and courage to all of us who are affected by this flood as we wait in uncertainty. Bring us hope that you will make us the equal of whatever lies ahead. Bring us courage to endure what cannot be avoided, for your will is health and wholeness; you are God and we need you. Amen.